Saturday, March 20, 2010

Preparation: Learning Haitian Creole and EMDR

If you pass me while I am driving and I appear to be talking to myself, what I am actually doing is repeating Haitian Creole phrases as prompted by a compact disc.  I do not expect to be fluent when I arrive in Haiti, but am confident that at the very least I will be able to participate in very very basic simple conversations. Hopefully I will be accepted into the Haitian Creole Summer Institute at Florida International University in Miami; if that program does not work out then I may lower my expectation to simply being able to say very important phrases in Haitian Creole.   My application is in so hopefully I will hear soon, that way I can begin to make specific plans. 

Last weekend I attended EMDR training part I offered by HAP (Humanitarian Assistance Programs.)  EMDR is a therapy that can very successfully reduce symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.  Next weekend I will attend the part II EMDR training.

While I do not know exactly what I will be doing while in Haiti, it seems clear that having at least a basic understanding the language and having tools to assist people who are suffering from trauma will increase my ability to minister effectively.       

I have added some links to this blog so that anyone who is interested can read more about:  EMDR & HAP, the Haitian Creole Summer Institute, the hospitality house where I will most likely be staying, and the sister who I will be staying with.   

No comments:

Post a Comment