Monday, November 1, 2010

There are so many things I could write about since my last update.  Last Monday, I took groups of children from kindergarten to at least introduce them to the psychoeducational program I will be doing.  There were  challenges, like finding something to put on the ground so the children could sit, since the program is in a tent without a floor which sits on stony ground.  The tent I was going to use did not have any walls; at one point there was a generator running   nearby and older children had recess; they kept coming into the tent in groups mostly out of curiosity; so I kept asking them to leave. 
On Wednesday I was sick; we were all pretty certain it was not Cholera as it  had not reached to Portapince area and I did not have the symptoms which differentiate Cholear from other stomach problems.  Since this was the third time I had gotten sick in approximately two  months, even though each time I had recovered with in a day, it was recommended that I go to a hospital to get checked out.   It turns out that some parasites and amoebas, (no where near as serious as Cholera)had made their home in my gut, thanks to antibiotics they are being evicted and I am feeling better.  Being sick teaches me a lot about humility.  Once again, in the midst of my simple suffering I realize how fortunate I am, as I have heard stories s of people who are suffering from the more devastating illness, Cholera in other places in Haiti, who do not have easy access to clean water and what most of us consider basic necessities, never mind for the the means to go to a private hospital like the one I was sent to. 

I am updating this blog from the Connie Clubhouse of the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital in Florida.  I am responsible this week for a Haitian child who had surgery last week.  After open heart surgery he was discharged, but when fluid developed around his heart he was readmitted.  He is a delightful child.  I will be with him until Saturday when the volunteer who is his official guardian while he is in the USA, returns from an NPH meeting in Nicaragua.  It is truly a privilege to accompany a child in this situation.  It is also truly an injustice that due to fears of illegal immigration the child's mother is not with him. 

As the plane was descending to land in Miami, I clearly identified the Florida International University Campus, the dorm  and library where I had class last summer were both easy spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment