Sunday, December 5, 2010

Anpil Bagay (many things)

A view of the mountains from outside the room where I stayed in Kenskoff. 
It has been two weeks since my last update.  Last weekend, I went to Kenskoff, which is in the mountains.  NPH has an orphanage there, and on the grounds there is a guest/retreat house.  I traveled to Kenskoff on Saturday in a van of children from the orphanage there who had been here, and a sister, Lorraine, who works here in Tabarre. We got off at the Baptist Mission, an interesting place, that has an American style fast food restaurant, a gift shop, bakery, hospital and other program.  I rarely it fast food in the states, but enjoyed it especially the milkshake, since it is not typically an option here.  There were volunteers from Ireland staying in Kenskoff.  I actually had a decent cup of tea (they had brought tea bags with them from Ireland!)  Just sitting around the table drinking tea was enjoyable; a very normal thing, that I have rarely done here in Haiti; I don't even crave tea when it is so hot, but in the mountains it was much cooler. There is little light pollution there as well, and on an unusually clear night, the sky was beautiful so many stars, that are usually impossible to see in other places.  What a wonderful place to begin the season of Advent, as the image of light and darkness is such a powerful one.  Last Sunday, I took a quiet prayer day, enjoying the beauty of the mountains.  Last year during Advent, I really sensed that God was calling me to something different, that I was walking in the dark, barely able to see the next step ahead of me.  Now, a year later here I am in Haiti, a year ago I really did not see that this is where the Spirit was leading, but now here I am, confident that at this moment this is where I am called to be, and where the path through the darkness will lead does not matter so much as being present here, now.   

The presidential election took place last Sunday in Haiti. Apparently, and unsurprisingly, there were many alleged flaws with the process.  The results as far as I know are still unknown.  There have been protests in response to the elections in various places in Haiti, although I have not personally encountered or witnessed any of them.

There are more tents treating Cholera victims here.  A week ago Tuesday I spent some time helping out, mostly organizing supplies and mixing serum oral.  In the past weeks, on the days when there are no bodies in white bags or cardboard coffins on the floor of the chapel it seems almost empty.  One day one of the youngest children in our program was taken to the tents, but fortunately she did not actually have cholera, but diarrhea caused by something else.  After spending a night and getting treatment including rehydration she was sent back to the home, and is doing fine.

On Friday afternoon, I had visitors.  Dr. Coletta who works for Holy Redeemer Health System, was in Haiti with a group of medical professionals doing surgery in Croix de Bouquet, which is not too far from here.  His entire team came for a tour.  It was a truly enjoyable visit!  He brought medical supplies from Holy Redeemer that surely will be put to good use here and are of course very appreciated.  

Every three months there is a family day for the children at Kay St. Anne and Saint Louie.  This occurred yesterday.  While all of the children are considered orphans many of them do have some relatives who may not have the means to care for them, but do love them and are able to come to the family days.  If the poverty was not so extreme and life so harsh for so many, probably many of the children would not have been sent to our programs.  It was an interesting and emotional day.  Some of the children were so happy to see their relatives, and so sad when they left.  Many other children had no visitors at all.  I spent time sitting with, holding, playing with or simply just trying to be present with these children.  The older children had prepared a program of songs and dancing for the visitors; it was well done.   

My work continues in the mornings at the school and in the afternoons at Kay St. Anne.  It is such a privilege to be able to offer play therapy to children, to journey with them, to witness their playing and processing of trauma and loss, and to watch them grow.

I am doing well here, and hope all of you are as well.  Many blessings during this season of Advent

No comments:

Post a Comment