Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mango

mango
Today is Sunday.  On Sundays when they are in season as they have been for the past few months, we get mangoes for dessert.  On the property of Kay Ste. Anne and houses nearby there are mango trees. I think mango trees are fascinatingly beautiful.  It amazes me how many mangoes you can see hanging off the branches of a single tree.  These trees tend to be tall, give good shade and seem very fruitful.  Each Sunday I try to cut my mango open a different way telling myself that if I am careful I can eat this mango without making a mess; I've had little success with this, but I guess that only makes it all the more fun.  


On Monday there was no school, because it was the day after the election so I spent the day with the children at Kay Ste. Anne.  These are busy days.  Sometimes I feel like I just go from one activity to another, sometimes trying to multitask.  One child is asking for water, while I am holding a toddler who I know will have a tantrum if I put her down, and while I am on my way to get someone a glass of water someone else needs toilet paper, which is sometimes hard to find and the workers are busy with diapers, mopping and other childcare tasks.  Sometimes though there are calmer moments, when I can really enjoy the children.  One little girl, a young three year old was singing the other day.  I recognized the tune and that the sounds she was making were actually supposed to be English words which she did not understand.  She must have heard the song at the Karnival party a couple of weeks ago.  When she finished I told her in Creole that I did not know, and then in Creole I asked her who let the dogs out?  She thought this was pretty funny.  We both laughed.      

Haiti's presidential election results have yet to be announced, maybe Thursday.  There are talks of a possible transportation strike tomorrow to protest the rising cost of gasoline.  So the week ahead could be interesting.

Hope you are well.  Take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment