Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Updates and a poem

It has been quite a while since I last updated this blog and much has happened, some wonderful moments with family and friends, and some sudden and deep sadness such as the death of a baby cousin.  I attended provincial chapter, returned to Rhode Island for a few days to be with my family, then went to Cape May NJ where I had a wonderful retreat experience. 

Here is a poem I wrote early during retreat which begins with an expression of my grief related to those who have died of Cholera in Haiti as well as the tragic death of my baby cousin. 

Water, I am angry. 
I am angry at you
for containing Cholera which killed countless people,
including four year old Katinana,
who had such a great giggle and traumatized eyes.

I'm angry at you
for luring Jameson with your playfulness and beauty
for flooding his little lungs
and forever separating his spirit from
his toddler body.

Water, you were my friend,
Your ocean waves have so often spoken to me of God
rhythmically stirring my soul from sleep,
often holding me afloat
or welcoming me for sacred moments beneath your surface.
who else could I pray and play with as I do you?

Water, you never failed to quench my thirst,
to cool me when I am hot,
to wash away the dirt and grime of daily life. 

Don't worry, my love,
my anger will dissolve.
I will forgive you.

Now I am feeling bold enough and sorrowful enough to ask
you, if you will forgive me and all of humanity,
for the countless ways we have
wasted, poisoned, and plundered you. 
In harming you we have hurt ourselves.

We are not separate from you.
You are in me; you are my blood.
Each sip of you I swallow can remind me
of our intimate unity.

Today as I stand by your side,
as I immerse myself in you,
I offer to you all that I have to give,
which is essentially you,
Releasing from my body,
flowing into yours,
beloved friend,
receive these tears. 


I plan to resume more consistent weekly blog updates beginning in mid August. I look forward to my return to Haiti in less than a week.  I hope you are having an enjoyable summer. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathleen,

    It's Dinorah. I like your poem very much. I am glad you have spent a nice vacation with your family here in the US. And I am so sorry to hear about the death of your baby cousin.
    Much love,
    Dinorah

    ReplyDelete