Sunday, November 13, 2011

Peace Pole

You have probably seen a peace pole somewhere.  On each of the four sides in four different languages are words about peace on the Earth.  There is one here on the grounds of teh convent in New Orleans where I am staying and will be officially moving to  in a few weeks.  One of the four languages happens to be Haitian Creole.  Near the foot of the peace pole there are flowers some of which are the very same kind that grow near the chapel on the grounds of St. Damien Hospital in Tabarre Haiti.  I recognize them because some mornings before liturgy in Haiti, I would pick some of those flowers to place on the body bags; so many mornings daily liturgy was a funeral.  I am grateful that since I left Haiti, I have yet to go into a church for daily liturgy and see body bags containing Cholera victims or dead babies on the floor.  I find that I am grateful for things that I never would have thought tobe grateful for prior to going to Haiti.  Today near the peace pole and the flowers that I saw a beautiful orange butterfly; a much welcomed reminder to me of resurrection and transformation.       

No comments:

Post a Comment