Saturday, January 21, 2012

runny noses

I remember when I first worked at Kay Saint Anne, and one of the babies had a runny nose.  I asked a worker for something to wipe the child's nose, expecting a tissue.  I never did learn the word for tissue in Haitian Creole since we never had any at work.  The worker took the bottom of the little shirt the baby wore and lifted it to the baby's face to wipe the runny nose.  This memory came to me the other day at work, when we were having a baby shower for a coworker.  One of the presents that someone gave to the expectant mother was a battery operated gadget designed to get the snot out of an infant's nose while playing pleasant music.  While someone was seriously commenting on what a practical gift this was, my mind could not help but wander back to Kay St. Anne.  Towards the end of my time in Haiti it became possible to locate toilet paper at Kay St. Anne relatively easily at least on most days, which I did use to wipe children's noses; no batteries needed.

Two years have passed since the earthquake.  Here is a slide show someone from Haiti posted on Facebook the other day, commemorating the 25th anniversary of NPH Haiti, as well as the second anniversary of the earthquake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmLlwo0PFNQ&feature=share
Enjoy!

Today I had a good time speaking Haitian Creole to a sister who speaks perfect Parisian French, but who could some how, amazingly enough understand my very poor Haitian Creole.  
If you are still reading this despite the fact that I have been back in theUS for three months and my posts are infrequent,thank you, mesi!
Take care, Kathleen

1 comment:

  1. Kathleen, wanted to check on you! hope everything is going well with you,
    love and blessings,
    dinorah

    ReplyDelete