Monday, November 3, 2014

Twins, All Souls Day and Rain

Much has happened this past week. 

The lay woman who had been volunteering here for two months, returned to Canada.  She is already greatly missed by the children, and the sisters, myself included. 

On Friday morning twin babies arrived at the orphanage as planned.  Their mother had died, I believe while giving birth to them; from what I was told, most likely her death would not have occurred if the hospital had not lost electricity.  The father of the children has several other children, including one with a significant developmental disability and so had decided that it would be best for his youngest babies to reside here with us.  The twins, like all of the children here, will maintain contact with their family.  They are beautiful.  It has been very touching to see how the other children welcomed them and seem to love them.  If you saw them, I am sure you would love them too! 

When I was in Haiti before, Haiti did not participate in day light savings time.  I did hear that they started after I left.  We did set the clocks back yesterday which caused a little confusion regarding when we were supposed to leave for mass.  On Saturday electricians were here and now there are two energy efficient lights in the play therapy room.  For this I am very grateful especially since it is now getting dark out when I am doing my last therapy groups most days.  
       
Yesterday was All Souls Day, an important day in the Catholic Church and in Haiti for remembering and praying for those who have died.  The priests and brothers of Holy Cross invited all of the Holy Cross family in Haiti as well as sisters from another congregation to a special mass that was held at their high school here in Cap Haitian.  The entire mass, as well as the Morning Prayer that preceded it, with the exception of two sung mass parts and one communion hymn was in French.  The liturgy was followed by a procession to the nearby cemetery where we prayed and placed a few wreaths of flowers.  Since the Marianites pray every day for our sisters who have died, typically reading their name, year of death and place of burial on the anniversary of death, I knew that a Marianite had died in Haiti and was buried in Cap Haitian.  I was very grateful when one of the Holy Cross sisters showed me her tomb.  Seeing the initials MSC after her name, helped me to feel connected and somehow further confirmed for me that I am where I am supposed to be.  I may be the only Marianite currently living in Haiti, but I am certainly not the first.  The cemetery contains Sisters of Holy Cross, Priests and Brothers of Holy Cross, a Marianite of Holy Cross as well as sisters from one other congregation.  It is truly a cemetery for the family of Holy Cross, which I think, greatly pleases Fr. Moreau, our founder.  Following the procession, we were all invited to a gathering; it is always great to connect with other members of the Holy Cross family, and as a bonus( among other things) there was delicious fresh pineapple to eat.   
  
We had almost no rain the first month that I was here and needed it.  Now we have had some rain for the past few nights and it has been raining on an off all day today.  In fact, it is raining quite heavily as I write this. We are grateful for the rain because things were getting pretty dry and some of the older children recently planted a garden.  It is a bit cooler than usual as well; a much welcomed break from the recent heat and humidity.  
       



No comments:

Post a Comment