Sunday, May 24, 2015

Pentecost Sunday

Today seven of the oldest children who reside here at the orphanage were among the 410 high school students who received the sacrament of confirmation at the Cap-Haitian cathedral.  All of the Catholic high schools in the city have their confirmation candidates receive the sacrament at one mass.  Apparently there were considerably fewer confirmed this year than last.  I have come to expect liturgy at the cathedral to be primarily in French; but it was in a combination of French and Creole, a pleasant surprise.  The cathedral was full, and the liturgy long (nearly four hours,) nevertheless,  I was happy to attend and glad celebrate with our young people afterwards.  May each of them and all of us be guided by the Holy Spirit

Come Holy Spirit,
help me  to understand others when there are  linguistic, cultural differences, and especially when I encounter perspectives that simply don't make sense to me initially.  
Come Holy Spirit, help us all to understand one another.

Come Holy Spirit,
fill me with compassion, patience, and love, especially when I am tempted to criticize, dismiss, or judge.
Come Holy Spirit help us all to love one another.

Come Holy Spirit,
lead me, that I may go where you need me, teach me to see those who are often unseen or unloved in our world.  
Come Holy Spirit, inspire us all to seek the lost, to love the forgotten, and to heal the hurting.  

Come Holy Spirit,
speak your words of wisdom to me and through me, using not only my words but my actions as well, even when what I say may not be accepted, appreciated or understood.
Come Holy Spirit, teach us all to be prophetic and wise.    

Come Holy Spirit!



Happy Pentecost Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment