Wednesday, July 13, 2016

This side of the water, but the other side of the river

In Haiti the US is sometimes referred to as " lòt bò," or "lòt bò dlo" which means the "other side,"or the "other side of the water."  In New Orleans people talk about which side of the Mississippi River they are on, the East Bank or the West Bank, but simply when you are on one bank, you can refer to the other as "the other side of the river."

So, on Thursday night I arrived here on other side of the water, where I am staying on  the other side of the river  (in relation to where I have previously lived in New Orleans.) I am happy to be on this side of the water for a little while, and I am feeling very welcomed by the sisters in this lovely house on this side of the river. During my first few days here there were moments when I was surprised by what was once ordinary.   For example, I thought, "Wow!  We have a dishwasher (machine)!"   I have to remind myself of silly things like it is okay to flush toilet paper down the toilets because the sewer system can handle it.  Suddenly I am once again capable of cooking and driving (but of course not at the same time.)  Also, it is not necessary to turn the plates upside down with the silverware beneath them when setting the table because there are rarely any flies in the house and virtually no dust coming in since the windows are completely sealed shut and there is less dust in general since the roads are all paved.  Actually, I am impressed by the quality of the roads, even though others here are complaining about them.  The next person who complains about the conditions of the roads in New Orleans should travel with me the next time I go to Pilat.   By the way, Pilat in relation to Cap Haitian is on the other side of  seven rivers, none of which have bridges.  In recent days, each time I traveled  from one side of the river to other, I felt grateful for the beautiful bridges that span the Mississippi River, something I had previously always taken for  granted.   It is great to be able to get to the other side of the river while staying on this one during my time on this side of the water.


Wherever you are, (on which ever side of whatever body of water,) I hope that you are enjoying the summer. Take care.  Many blessings!

2 comments:

  1. Well said! How we take so much blessing for granted. Thank you for the reminders! Many blessings for your time on the other side of the water!

    ReplyDelete