Sunday, September 17, 2017

First Full Week of School

Last week was essentially the first full week of school since the first official week was cut short due to Hurricane Irma.  I am still feeling very grateful that the storm did not hit us directly.  Since my last update, I have heard a few stories of people who experienced some problems related to the storm.   Just a moment ago I realized there is another storm, Maria, which potentially could head in our direction this week.  Praying for all in its path!

Then English conversation classes that I am teaching to high school students are going well.  The night before the first class I was feeling somewhat anxious and wondered if I am really qualified to teach at the high school level (undergrad was elementary and special education.)  The first class went so well that I actually found myself looking forward to the next one. Most of the students seem very motivated to learn English.  They have another more traditional English class taught by another teacher where they learn grammar and vocabulary. The idea of being expected to concentrate conversation is quite freeing for me (after all, it is hard to make grammar interesting.)  The classes are much larger than I am accustomed to.  My largest class has 57 students!  I have five classes; each meets only once a week for one hour.  When the students start chatting with one another, which high school girls do sometimes, I tell them to say it in English.    

In two of the schools, I have begun observing in some of the classrooms and talking with some of the teachers about their challenges and concerns regarding students.   I have felt very welcomed in both of those schools and have enjoyed my interactions with the teachers and the students.

The children returned to the orphanage last weekend.  I was very happy to see them.  This year I will be there one day a week, most likely providing individual therapy to the children who the sisters and employees see as most needing individual support.

Since my last update, I was able to attend two masses in celebration of vows for members of the Family of Holy Cross.  Last Saturday, three young men, (who were in my little English class last year,) made first profession and two men professed their perpetual vows in the Congregation of Holy Cross.  It was a joyous celebration and most of that mass was in Creole.  Yesterday one of the Sisters of Holy Cross made final vows.  I felt privileged to attend and enjoyed the party that followed.  It is wonderful to be able to connect to the large Holy Cross family especially to celebrate newer members.

I want to share with you a few pictures I took last Sunday.  While I was walking around the yard taking the pictures, the kind woman who had cooked our meal was leaving to go home for the day.  When I had returned from vacation I had given the employees who work in our convent each a card I had made with a photograph I had taken; she knows what kind of things I like to photograph.  Several times we said good-bye and she started walking toward the gate, and then she would see a bird or a butterfly or a lizard and excitedly call me to take a picture.  I was touched by her kindness and enthusiasm especially considering she had worked much of the day.






Have a good week!  Many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment