Sunday, April 18, 2010

Attempt to attend Creole liturgy

There is a nearby parish, which according to the Archdiocesan Catholic Directory and the parish web-site has a liturgy in Creole on Sunday evening at 5:30.  Coincidentally, it is the parish where I taught second grade for two years, ten years ago.  I decided that one Sunday evening I would go there for liturgy, to familiarize myself with liturgy in the Haitian language.  This seemed like a good Sunday to go, since this weekend was not busy.  The only down side is that as a local community we eat together on Sunday evenings at 6:00.  I let the sisters know I would not be home in time for dinner.    I arrived at Incarnation, with minutes to spare.  I walked to the doors to the upper church, they were locked.  I checked the doors of the lower church, they were locked (many churches in Philadelphia have an upper and a lower church.)  There were not very many people around.  I wondered if I had the wrong time.  I walked to the side of the church.  The doors were locked and as far as I could tell the lights were off.  Finally I saw a gentleman, whom I asked about the 5:30 pm mass.  He said that this week the schedule is changed, next week regular schedule.  I think he was Haitian.  I am glad he knows more English than I know Creole, because despite listening to cds and mp3, using flashcards, a computer program, and participating in an online class, I would not have known how to ask about the 5:30 liturgy.  I'll try again another time.  At least I was home in time for a delicious dinner.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment