Sunday, April 25, 2010

Meeting Mary

Yesterday, Mary, the sister I will be staying with in Haiti celebrated her jubilee in Yardley PA.  I went to her congregation's mother house this morning to meet her.  She in an amazing woman!  At 77 years of age she is doing great work in Haiti.  At this point, when in Haiti she is still sleeping in a tent as she has since the January earth quake. Mary expects to be back in the house by the time I arrive; if not that is okay, after all I do have a tent.  

I met a couple who worked with her in Haiti for a few years until they returned to the US in March.  It was enjoyable to hear their perspectives on the situation there. Many of Mary's relatives were there as well; I enjoyed meeting them.  It was nice to be with a bunch of New Englanders.  Mary is originally from Massachusetts (the same town where my cousin Caroline lives.)  Coincidentally, Mary had an identical twin sister.

Since meeting Mary, I am even more enthusiastic about going to Haiti, more certain that my skills can be used well there, but as unsure as ever as to exactly how.             

No comments:

Post a Comment