Saturday, September 4, 2010

My first full week working with NPH completed.  The children at Kay St. Anne are beautiful.  I am really feeling like this is where God has called me to be.  It is truly a gift to have that sense, that at this moment I am where I am supposed to be. 

This does not mean that this is always easy.  While I have made some progress in learning Kreyol, I am still far from fluent.  The children usually seem to understand me, but I don't always understand the adults.  Even when I do understand the words or what is being said, I am sometimes puzzled because of cultural differences and perspectives.  At times because of their culture and understanding the workers in the house are strict about things that would never occur to me to expect of children, but may not encourage the children to do or not do things that I because of my upbringing and educationwould would want children to do.  Such situations cause me to learn about myself and at times challenge me, as I wonder what is simply opinion and what is truly best for the children. 

Several new children came to the house this week.  It is now full to capacity.  One little girl who arrived on Friday, is extremely malnourished.  Although she is three years old she is smaller and weighs less than most one year olds.  Her body is scarred and bruised as well.  It is a sad situation, but there is hope for her because the program is able to provide her with a safe place, and nourishment physically and emotionally. 

Fr. Rick, who is also a doctor is the person who oversees all of the NPH programs in Haiti.   He returned to Tabarre in the middle of the week.  Daily liturgy resumed in the chapel.  His first day back the list of children who had died, in the hospital while he was away was read.  There were many names.  The following day the liturgy was also the funeral mass for the people who Fr. Rick and others were going to be burying; every Thursday they bury the unidentified dead from the area.  On Friday Fr. Rick spoke about Haitians who were detained for no reason. While liturgy is happening we can hear sounds of mothers and children waiting to be seen for medical care, or babies crying from their hospital rooms.  My challenges are quickly put into perspective.   
   
For all of you, in the United States Happy Labor Day.  I hope you are having a good weekend.
Love, Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment