Saturday, September 11, 2010

This week my heart broke when the most malnourished child I have ever met, the smallest three year old I have ever seen, ofered me the cookie she was eating.  It broke again when the same child sat next to a baby I was feeding and tried to catch drips from the baby's chin so she could eat it. 

I could not help but laugh when in the midst of a temper tantrum a young three year old started yelling "wo jezi, wo jezi" (king Jesus) repeatedly.

The baby house as Kay Saint Anne is sometimes called, is certainly a busy place.  There are many social and emotions needs that the children have.  Sometimes I feel frustrated about situations and have to remind myself that the staff there has a different cultural perspective and has not had many educational opportunities.  Some concepts related to cultural perspective are more challenging to understand and accept.  Somethings may not be possible for me to compromise very well, for example, my western understanding of disease transmission, as a result I insist that when I give the children water on not using the same cup for all of the children, unless I was going to wash it in between each child.  I say things to the kids like, "lave men ou apre ou itilize twalet (wash your hands after you go to the bathroom),which I suspect many of the children are not used to hearing.    
My frequent use of handsanatizer did not prevent me from getting sick though, but I am getting better.  I was in bed most of the day and just got up to check email, try to skype with my parents, update this blog and then I'll probably go back to bed; I expect to be better tomorrow.

The smiles of the children, make it all worth it.  When I arrive at the house and say bon jou, I tell them mwen kontan we' ou jodia, I am happy to see you today, and everyday it is true.         

No comments:

Post a Comment