Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy Easter!

Recently, I was asked to incorporate some religious education into what I am doing with the children at St. Anne.  I began doing this on Holy Thursday, meeting with small groups of the children telling them the story of these holy days.  When I spoke of Jesus washing the feet of the apostles, in order to make it a little more concrete for them, I decided to wash their feet.  When I was nearly finished with the first group, a child asked to wash mine; I was very touched by this gesture of such a young child.

On Good Friday I went with another sister to liturgy at the local parish since we were not having mass at the little chapel here on the grounds of St. Damien Hospital.  We found seats in the church. There were also some people sitting outside in plastic chairs, who could here the liturgy.  I had not realized how many people were present until the veneration of the cross when so many of varying ages, and probably different classes processed into the church to kiss the cross.  This went on for nearly an hour, while people sang beautifully and solemnly.  There is such great faith among the people here, many of whom have experienced Good Friday suffering throughout their lives.

On Easter Sunday there was mass at St. Louie.  In the evening volunteers gathered for a party and spaghetti dinner.  It always a gift to celebrate with people.

Hopefully you had a Happy Easter as well, and will experience Easter joy everyday!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment