Sunday, April 10, 2011

Updates and Thoughts

There was no school on Monday, although by the time they actually announced the election results the children would have long since returned home.  Martelly is the name of the next president of Haiti; his stage name as a singer is "Sweet Mickey."  His campaign slogan was "tet kale" literally means "bald head," figuratively it means something like the "the real thing.  " If I remember correctly, last summer in Kreyol class when we were learning about music, before he declared his desire to be president, the professor talked about Sweet Mickey, saying something like, "all of his songs are nasty."  I don't know what to expect and never felt I had enough information about actual issues to form an opinion regarding the election.  We shall see what happens.  The week was peaceful, no major manifestations or protests that I am aware of following the results.

I was saddened by the news that a sister in my congregation, Sr. Helen died this week.  My prayers went out to her, her family and the other sisters in our small province. Please pray for all of us who will miss her.

A few of the children who reside at St. Anne who are already six years old will be transitioning to St. Louie next weekend.  I am working with them to prepare them.  When told they will be moving, they seemed mostly excited.  A few of them having siblings there already.  I felt a little sad that they will be leaving Kay St. Anne to live with the older children.  Soon after they move out more little ones will be joining the baby house.  The needs here are endless.  

If a security guard, or a stranger on the street asks me how I am in French, Spanish, Creole or sometimes even in English, I respond in Haitian Creole.  

The children are really enjoying the books my relatives bought.  I enjoy reading with them and some of the workers do too.  They love being read to.  Some of the books I will use when I do the psychosocial program with the children at the school. Thanks again to all my family members who chipped in!

Well, I am off to St. Louie this evening where they children will be praying the Stations of the Cross.
Have a good week.
 Take care,
Kathleen
 

  

2 comments:

  1. I think I remember Sr. Helen. Did she have a kind of full face, was very pleasant, and wore her habit. Do I have the right Sister?

    You know those books will probably give you a more verbal knowledge of Creole and French too.

    Take Care and much love. Papa & Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma and Papa,
    Sr. Helen did not wear a habit however the rest of your description could fit her.
    The books are helping with my creole. I am not making any real effort to learn French at this point as I want to focus on improving my creole listening comprehension.
    I'll skype you soon. Hope you are well.
    Take care.
    Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete