Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chicken Pox, Fet Drapo, and New Arrivals

When we had only a handful of children left at Kay Ste. Anne who did not have the chicken pox and all of the other children who were sick including some of the youngest ones, were in the containers at Kay Ste. Louie, it was decided that all of the children should just return to Kay Ste. Anne.  I suspect some of the children who did not get chicken pox may have had it when they were younger.  One child is still away, due to other health problems; it was decided to keep her away from the other children, until the chicken pox are gone.  When the children are itchy and terribly uncomfortable the workers turn on the hose and water the children, which does seem to provide relief for a while. 

On Tuesday the school had a celebration for Fet Drapo (flag day.)  A group of talented musicians came with trumpets, a trombone and drums and led most of the children in a parade around a few nearby blocks.  The younger children stayed behind and danced and played.  Wednesday was the offical Hatian Flag Day.  Schools were closed for the holdiay.  I spent the day at Kay Ste. Anne mostly attendingn to sick children, and organizing some activities for those that were up to it.  The workers turned on the generator and the television and the children watched a program of flag day festitvites which was occuring live somehere in Haiti. Haitian music and dance is reallly beautiful. 

The Haitian people really do take pride in their flag and in their history and in their culture.  I think I can respect that such days are importnat to them and even enjoyed wishing people "Bon Fet Drapo,"  even though, for me something like Flag Day in the United States is not particularrly important. Although thinking about it did spark a memory for me. In all my  life, I only remember ever doing anything to celebrate Flag Day in the United States one time; that was when I was in second grade and the entire elementary school walked to Narragansett Pier (the center of town) singining patriotic songs (we practiced so much that to this day, whenever I hear the song America the Beautiful finish, in my head I start singning You're a Grand Old Flag.) 

On Thursday we had five new children move into Kay Ste. Anne. One new little girl, problaby under two sat silently eating her lunch while tears rolled down her face.  It is so hard for me to imagine what it must be like for these children when they first arrive.  At times, I tend to wish there were fewer children in the home, because I tend to beleive that it is hard for staff to meet their emotional needs well when there are so many.  As each new child comes, I find that they are such delightful individuals, I can't help but love them. Often I need to remind myself that this situaiton, is probably much better in many ways from the situations they are coming from. 

 Please excuse spelling errors, I am using a different computer that is not my own, and it seems to be set to spell check in French.  Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment