Sunday, June 26, 2011

Jedi

On Thursday there was no school because it was a holiday, Corpus Christi.  I spent the morning at Kay St. Anne. When one of the newest children, a baby probably just over a year, who was barley over the chicken pox had a very water diarrhea that consisted of small white slimy peices shaped like rice, I got scared.  These are the classic symptoms of Cholera.  She was quickly sent to the Cholera hospital, where thank God it was determined that she did not have Cholera; she was returned to Kay St. Anne later that very day.  The next day she no longer was having white watery rice like diarrhea and even smiled a bit.    

There is a child who has been staying at the homes of workers and their families until it seems unlikely that she will get chicken pox from other children at Kay Saint Ann, because she has other health issues.  When workers were changing, on Thursday, afternoon I asked to go with them so that I could see the child before I go on vacation.  With a worker and a driver I into the crowded city and past the broken cathedral and what remains of the presidential palace, up hilly roads through well populated urban neighborhoods which felt to me like a maze.  It was great to see this wonderful little girl, who should be returning to Kay Saint Anne one day later this week.  She had grown, and seemed happy.  She slept in my arms much of the way to the other worker's home.

At some point during this journey my Haitian cell phone fell from my pocket.  The driver and worker and I searched the cab of the truck where I had been sitting but could not find it anywhere.  I thought it fell out when the child exited the truck.  It did not.  The phone was found in the truck probably the following day.   Last night, a friend called my number for me and the driver answered. When he returned it to me this morning I was appreciative of how honest and helpful people are until I realized all of the money on the phone card had been used except for one half of a gourde which is worth about two cents or so.  I am glad and grateful to have the phone back.

In a few days I will be able to use my american cell phone; I am really really glad for that.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kathleen,

    Your blog is beautiful! You will have me here for sure, leaving you comments. Thanks for sharing these testimonies with us. I will be back!

    Dinorah from your Creole class.

    PS: I haven't been able to use my Creole very much. I became a citizen on October 21 last year and there was also a Haitian woman there, and we spoke in Creole!

    ReplyDelete