Sunday, September 18, 2011

Basic Updates

Since ten children from St. Anne had moved to St. Louie and the 15 new children will move in tomorrow, it was a calmer week at Kay St. Anne.  I actually think the ratios this past week were more like what I would ideally want them to be all of the time, because smaller numbers allow for better supervision and more individual attention for the children.  When there are so many needs and such limited resources, in a country like this I imagine, it is difficult for those in management positions to find the balance between taking in more children who are in desperate need, or serving fewer children while providing more intense services.  We heard this week that there are currently  budget concerns across programs.  It really makes you realize how everything is connected, economic problems in the United States and Europe impact the amount of donations that organizations such as NPH receive, but the needs don't decrease and here in Haiti because of the earthquake and cholera needs have increased greatly. While this is not a fundraising blog, and I don't like asking I decided it is important enough to mention that if anyone reading this who may be interested in making a donation to NPH, if you would like you could ask that it specifically go to Haiti,  and directly to the Father Wasson Angel of Light program, here is the link to the website of the fundraising arm of the organization:   http://www.friendsoftheorphans.org/s/769/start.aspx

This week during activities at St. Anne, when I wanted to do something a little different, I taught some of the children a classic american children's  game, only I called "kanna kanna zwa", instead of "duck duck goose."  I was surprised that they enjoyed it so much, that several times later in the week the children got together and spontaneously played it themselves during their free time.  I enjoyed watching some of the toddlers who did not fully understand the part of the game where you try to return to the other person's seat on the floor, but who took great pleasure in tapping the heads of other children and joyfully exclaiming, "kanna!"   

On Friday I visited with the children who had moved from St. Anne to St. Louie last week.  They all seem to have adjusted well and are doing fine.  

Yesterday morning, I went with the other volunteer and a driver to visit the family of the child I had accompanied in the states last year, who died a couple of weeks ago.  We were warmly welcomed into their small house, which was essentially one little room, with a couple of beds, a table, four plastic chairs, and a shelf with a small television. As I looked at the way the exposed  wires hung from the ceiling, I wondered what my father (an electrician, who often comments on how things are wired when visiting a new place) would say; I suspect the wiring would have made him nervous.  When the other volunteer needed to use the bathroom during the visit, she was apparently provided with a bucket.  The child's mother, two brothers, and a cousin were there.  One of his brothers resembled him quite a bit.  Everyone in the immediate family seems to be relatively tall and quite thin, and each had a beautiful smile.  I enjoyed visiting and talking with them. The family seemed appreciative of our presence, and of the donation we had brought to them, which I believe was from the Rotary Club in Florida which had sponsored the heart surgery last fall.    

Hope you are doing well.  Have a good week.

No comments:

Post a Comment