Sunday, September 4, 2011

Funerals, Activities. and a Wonderful Weekend

Funerals
Last weekend Fr. Rick returned to Haiti after some time in the states. Daily liturgy resumed here in the little chapel  by the pediatric hospital.  Apparently, someone had pointed out that we often had funerals for people that die in the cholera hospital and sometimes for people who did at the adult hospital but never for the children who die at St. Damien hospital.  At some point, while I was away children who die at St. Damien began to be included in the funerals. On Monday there were many bodies of small children.  During Fr. Rick's absence they had accumulated in the being held in a freezer now kept on the side of the chapel.  Usually the dead are not people I knew personally; it is sad in a general way.  Sometimes I wonder how many of those dead would have survived had they been born in the United States or Europe.

On Thursday night, I heard that the child who I had spent a week with in Florida last year had died.  The other volunteer who has spent time with him called me.  I walked to the front of the hospital to offer condolences to his grieving mother.  We hugged for a moment, I said little; some situations are simply too sad for words.  On Friday, the daily liturgy was like the funerals on the previous days that week in many ways, but it was more difficult and more meaningful because I knew and cared for one of thechildren whose body lay in a body bag on the chapel floor.
I had visited him in the hospital a few times since he was admitted.  His death was not expected to be imminent and there was even some talk of possibly sending him back to the states for surgery.  The last day I visited him was a couple of days before he died.  To my untrained eyes, he appeared to be getting better.  He was sitting in a chair by his bed, talking with me and shooing mosquitoes away.   His young heart failed him; in my heart I carry  memories of him.  Please pray for his mother and family.  

Activities
The government has changed the official start of the school year from early September to early October in order to make it possible to implement a plan so that when school does start more children in Haiti will be able to attend school for free.  When the summer camp for the children in the Father Wasson Angels of Light ended a couple of weeks ago, we were expecting school to be starting soon. I have been involved in the planning of more structured activities for the children at St. Anne during the month of September.  The new schedule starts tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.  

Weekend
The organization planned a weekend at the beach for all interested long term volunteers in Haiti.    The hotel where we stayed was lovely, and in a great location.  It was wonderful to spend time swimming,  playing in the water, reading, kayaking, hanging out with the other volunteers, and eating the delicious food at the hotel.  The hotel even had hot running water for showers!  Most of the time I am in Hait, I am not even aware of the reality that I am on an island; this weekend was a major exception.  I included a few pictures in an attempt to share the beauty of the Haiti seaside with you.  What a wonderful restful  weekend!

This morning, while still at the hotel, I was sitting by the pool reading.   A small  group of people including some police and UN people. exited the conference building and  walked by.  In the mist of the  group, wearing blue jeans and a dress shirt was President Martelly, the President of Haiti. Apparently there was some kind of a meeting taking place that had to do with the UN, at least that is what a  young woman who was sunbathing by the pool told me.  I was amazed at how little fanfare there seemed to be actually.    

I hope that you had a wonderful weekend, and for those in the US celebrating Labor Day; may you have a blessed and enjoyable day.              


No comments:

Post a Comment