Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Dimanch, Eleksyon, Fòmasyon, Zandolit

Dimanch
Once a month on Sunday family members of the children at the orphanage are encouraged to come to visit.  A highlight of my week was seeing a elderly grandfather play on the orphanage merry-go-round with his two young grandchildren.  The smiles and each of their faces brought joy to my heart, and a smile to my face, in the midst of a challenging day at the orphanage.  

That same day, three young women, soon to officially enter the Sisters of Holy Cross as postulants moved in to the convent where I am living.  I appreciate the new life and energy they bring to the house.

Elections
Today I filled out my absentee ballot for Louisiana local elections.  Hopefully it will arrive on time for the primary otherwise it is the same ballot used for the general election; the directions are to  number your preferences so that the same ballot can be counted in the general election.  I had to spend time on-line researching who to vote for since I have not been keeping up with Louisiana politics at all.  In the evenings after we finish washing the dinner dishes and before 8:00 night prayer (or sometimes after if I am not too tired) I try to listen to NPR on the internet to at least get the headlines of the national news in the US.  I also try to read news about Haiti on the internet.  In reality, I am not following things here or there as closely as I would like, just getting a general sense of what's going on.  There are elections coming up here in Haiti.   There are over 50 candidates running for president; while it can be good to have choices, I don't know how people choose from so many.   While I had to search for information on the Louisiana local elections, I receive information or at least advertisements frequently on my facebook feed and occasional telephone text messages promoting candidates I can't vote for.    

Fòmasyon
Yesterday morning while the children were at school, I did a brief presentation for the workers who care for the children at the orphanage, to explain the work that I do with the children.  They were very receptive and asked some good questions.  I felt energized after being with them.  In many places in the world, it seem to me that those who do the most direct day to day care of children (or other vulnerable populations) have the most important jobs in the world and yet are often under appreciated and unfortunately rarely compensated well.
 
Zandolit
Some people have commented that they like when I post pictures.  Here is one of the several lizards that hang out  on the outside of my screen and hopefully catch and snack on  mosquitoes that would try to enter through the holes.  I am grateful that they are there.  I also really like the word for lizard in Haitian Creole, "zandolit"; it just sounds cool!
           
Thanks for taking the time to read my weekly update.  Have a good week.  Take care!  Many blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment