Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Peanuts and Passengers

Recently, I have found myself reflecting on how harm can be done even when people have the best of intentions.

Last week I found myself surrounded by a group of very well intentioned, kind Americans while on the flight from Miami to Cap Haitian.  There are often large church groups that come to Haiti   They are easy to spot in airports because they often having matching t-shirts with Bible quotes on the back.  From the conversation I had with him, it seemed that the guy sitting next to me during the flight understood the importance of building relationships with people during his short mission trip, which is very good; although personally, I am not sure how one manages to build meaningful relationships during a 10 day trip without being able to communicate in the language of the people.  He shared with me what he appeared to consider a great accomplishment  by the group (convincing what he referred to as " two witch doctors" to leave a neighborhood) during a previous mission trip which in my mind seemed to undermine the culture and traditions of the people.   Sometimes I catch myself thinking negatively of such groups,although I do acknowledge that they have good intentions and that they are no doubt for the most part genuinely very good people.

Another such example is the United States' plan to "dump" a surplus of peanuts into the local market here in Haiti.  There have been previous examples of this kind of so-called donation ultimately causing more harm than good.   You can read more about the peanut situation and if you feel called to do so, sign the petition, as I did to advocate for the Haitian peanut growers who have much to lose if this becomes a reality.  https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/halt-planned-usda-dumping-us-peanuts-haitian-market-and-future-surplus-dumping-there-procure-locally


When I reflect on these situations, I realize that despite my good intentions I too am capable of doing harm even as I strive to do good.  Certainly I recognize that any resistance or negative feelings that arise within myself towards the church groups who come here on mission trips have to do with my own fear that what I see in them exists within myself.

By the way, Haitian peanut butter called "manba" is quite good!

Take care!  Have a good week!  Many blessings!


 

2 comments: