Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Summer English Class

A couple of the employees at the orphanage had asked that their children come to the English class which I had been teaching to the Holy Cross men`s novices and  a few others each Thursday morning.  They wanted their teenage children to miss school each Thursday and come to my class instead.  As a former teacher and someone who often had perfect or nearly perfect attendance when I was in school, I  was not at all comfortable with that idea.  I said I would try to offer a class when school was finished but before I left the country for vacation.  Each day this week and next I am teaching English to a five children of employees and a young adult who grew up at the orphanage.  I am enjoying it and they seem to be too.  More importantly hopefully, they are learning.

Since the postulants are on vacation and several sisters are leaving for chapter meetings in Canada, it was decided to temporarlily close the convent where I live.  This allows employees to have vacation time and saves energy.  Four of us who are not away are staying at the orphanage convent where I lived last year.  It is rather quiet on the orphanage grounds these days, since the children are away.

I was planning to include some pictures, but due to technical difficulties they are simply not uploading in a reasonable amount of time (and then some.)  I am satisfied that I finally figured out how to get the spell check to work in English.  My laptop is not working so, while this is one of my briefier and more boring  updates it actually required more effort than one with normally functioning techology, reliable electricty and decent internt connections would likely imagine.     

Have a great week!  Many blessings!    


No comments:

Post a Comment