Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Turkeys, a Duckling and Nesting Egrets

On Mother's Day in Haiti, I distinctly remember wishing one of the manmans, (one of the women who works directly with the children at the orphanage) a Happy Mother's Day.  She smiled as I kissed her on the cheek as people do in this culture.  A group of turkeys that live in the orphanage yard came near.  I commented that they came to wish her "Bon fèt manman" too.  She then proceeded to tell me a story; something she had just witnessed.  She said that a chicken was starting to fight with one of the baby turkeys.  All of the other turkeys in the yard came to help the little turkey and the chicken ran off.  She commented about how animals (in this case turkeys) can work together but that people don't.

The following day was my last weekly meeting with the workers.  At the end of the meeting as a small gift for attending, I gave each a blank card with a different photograph on the front.  This particular mother received the card with this picture.

She was delighted!  She showed the other workers the duckling, and they playfully teased that they wanted her card, but she refused to trade.  When all of the other workers had walked away and I  was headed towards the therapy room doorway, smiling, she approached me, gave me a kiss on the cheek and thanked me.

Two days later, a worker came to me explaining that this particular mother was sick. The other sisters were in a meeting and the employees did not want to disturb them.  I immediately went to see the sick worker.  She was sitting on the side of a bed, sweating profusely and she looked like she was dizzy.  I spoke with her briefly.  When I inquired as to whether or not she was in pain she pointed to her chest and her back.  Quickly I ran to inform the sisters that I think this mother needs to go to the hospital.  They went to see her and called the orphanage driver to transport her to the hospital.  I took the two children who were too young to be at school but were not napping at that time to the swing set so that they would not witness people helping the ill worker down the stairs, out of the house and into the truck.

The following day we were told that she was still at the hospital but that she was getting better.  On Friday during the noon time meal, there was no new news when I asked the sisters about her status.  She died late Friday night.

Please keep her family, the children and all of the workers in your prayers at this time.


Next week I will write about my current (and so far very good) experience in Pilat.

Here are some pictures of egrets nesting in the large tree in the middle of the school yard in Pilat.  I am amazed at the number of nests in a single tree (I can't seem to get a picture that accurately portrays this.)  




This week I have again been reminded of the fragility of life and not to take the presence of another for granted.  I am grateful for my communities (current and former) family, and friends.  Thank you for reading my blog; this week writing it was therapeutic for me.    Take care.  Many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment