Tuesday, October 11, 2016

A Week After the Storm



Yesterday the children returned to school after a full week of closures due to Hurricane Matthew, even though we did not experience real hurricane conditions in our immediate area.  As typical routines  quickly resumed,  images on the internet and comments made by those who watch the television news remind me of the terrible suffering people are experiencing on the southern side of this country.   Some sisters have family members in places hard hit by the storm.  Ther are so many sad stories. Silmatenesoly the devastation seems both very far away and close by.  In places with fewer resources and greater poverty, there are fewer protections from such storms and so greater suffering results.  It is an injustice.  What can we do to change this?  How do we prevent such unnecessary death and loss?  How am I (are we) called to respond to the current situation? As usual, I have more questions than answers.

I try to keep up with what is going on in elections on both sides of the water; I don't always do a good job.  The Haitian presidential primary elections which were scheduled to take place last Sunday have been postponed because of the hurricane.  There is a tentative date for the end of the month.    I was able to watch the American presidential debate on Sunday night since we actually get CNN here.  I only recently learned that we get CNN and I've lived here over a year.  The other American sister who lives here and I tried to watch the first debate but missed most of it due to poor television reception.

Next week, I will not be updating this blog because I will be on retreat.  It will be great to connect with and pray with Marianites and other members of the Holy Cross congregations as we prayerfully  reflect and give thanks in celebration of 175 years since the Marianites of Holy Cross were founded.

I've been touched by the generosity of so many people all over the world recently. Some of my cousins in Ireland are planning a Quiz Night as a fundraiser for the orphanage.  A Sunday school group of children at a parish in Ohio are also planning a fundraiser for us as well.  It is encouraging that there are so many people willing to enable us to care for the children.  Although I said this last week, it is worth repeating, I felt supported by many people who contacted me to make sure I was okay when they heard of the  hurricane in Haiti.  Thank you,  everyone!  

Take care.  Many blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kathleen great to here ye are well in your side of the country, i will pray for all the people of Haiti, Your Mom and Dad were very worried on the cruise and were so happy to here you were ok, enjoy the retreat , god bless you and all the children joe/patty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen great to here ye are well in your side of the country, i will pray for all the people of Haiti, Your Mom and Dad were very worried on the cruise and were so happy to here you were ok, enjoy the retreat , god bless you and all the children joe/patty xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe and Patty, Thanks! I hope you enjoyed your vacation. Please give my greetings and love to all my relations in Ireland. Take care.

    ReplyDelete