Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Retreat: Pictures and a Prayer/Poem




In celebration of our 175th anniversary of our the founding of the Marianites of Holy Cross, women from both of the other Holy Cross congregations as well as a priest and a brother gathered in Louisiana for a special retreat.  A brother of Holy Cross presented during the retreat which centered around the first General Superior, Mother Mary of the Seven Dolors (that was her religious name; her first name at birth was Leocaide; the house where I live in Haiti is named for her.)  I am very grateful that I was able to make the journey to Lousiana and participate in this prayerful experience.  I am happy to share with you some pictures I took and a prayer/poem I wrote during retreat. 













Mary At The Foot of The Cross

You could not stop the suffering
still you stayed, 
You could not cease the crucifixion
yet you remained,

Appearing and feeling painfully powerless
Prophetic and profound was your powerful presence,

After years of active mothering
there was nothing to do but stand, 
but, you were no passive on-looker, 
 much energy is required to actively love
even as the events shattered your previously pierced heart,

You stayed standing through the suffering
somehow, simply trusting
what you could not have yet known.
  
Help me, that I may continually choose to stand with you, 
confident that you stand with me, too.  Amen.  







On Sunday afternoon, I returned to Haiti. On Monday morning as I approached the gate of the orphanage, most of the children were exiting to head to school for the day.  My heart was happy to see them.  I smiled as I greeted them.

Take care.  Many blessings!    

No comments:

Post a Comment