Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Advent Adventures

Thanksgiving

Last Thursday, thanks to Agape Airlines who provided us, as they do all interested American missionary families who use their mail service, with a turkey and all of the fixings for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  This year I was thankful that another American sister was able to cook with me.  We cooked and ate at the orphanage convent; that oven is slightly more reliable than the one at the convent where we live.  Because of her assistance, I was still able to teach English class that morning, and hold my groups with the children (although I started a little late) that afternoon.  I am grateful that we were able to celebrate Thanksgiving.  I have so much to be thankful for.  On the top of my list are the many people that I am fortunate to have in my life. 

Route to Pilat

On Saturday evening the sister who is the director of the school in Pilat called to say that the driver should be there before noon on Sunday.  Grateful that we had mass at the orphanage on Saturday afternoon, I spent Sunday morning getting ready.  Before noon, she called to say that driver was unable to come because another vehicle was stuck in the mud blocking the road that leads to and from Pilat.  Then she said that the hospital machine was also on its way to Cap-Haitian and if I could get to one of the other convents closer to downtown, they would be able to give me a ride.  There is only one sister in our convent with a Haitian driver’s license; she was home so I asked her for a ride to the convent.  When we were in the city, I received an additional phone call saying that the hospital vehicle had not been able to leave Pilat due to the road block, so we headed back to the convent.  When we were almost home, she called again to say that the hospital vehicle was no longer stuck and was on its way after all. The driver had agreed kindly agreed to come to the convent where I live to get me.  He arrived at about 4:15.  He had several errands to run, and needed to pick up people who were also going to Pilat.  It was raining and many of the streets in downtown Cap-Haitian were full of water, others had mud and rocks left by the flowing waters.  It was an hour after he picked me up before we actually left the city limits.  The paved national road, the closest thing to a highway here had many large puddles and water filled potholes.  The driver was appropriately cautious especially when the rain was heavy.  At times he even turned off the radio so he could concentrate on driving.  Most of the time the radio was on because everyone was expecting the results of the presidential primary election to be announced that evening. 

We were fortunate that the rain ceased just before we turned off of the national road onto the road that leads to Pilat.  I have described this unpaved hilly road with seven bridgeless rivers in previous posts. On Sunday night the road was also wet and very muddy.  At one point the driver stopped the car and chatted with a police officer, who seemed to uncertain if we should continue on route because of the mud.  It was decided that everyone except for the driver should get out of the car.  Less weight would decrease the chances of the hospital vehicle’s tires sinking into the mud.  There were about nine of us, mostly women, one was holding a toddler who had slept most of the ride but awoke for the walk down the muddy hill.  At times we held hands or locked arms.  After sitting so long in the crowded vehicle, my legs were grateful to move.  My inexpensive Haitian cell phone has a built in flashlight, which I used to carefully chose my steps.  The mud was slippery, it reminded me of slush and ice, but it was not cold out; in fact it was a perfect temperature for an evening stroll.  The car passed us; when the driver assessed that the chances of getting stuck in the mud were minimal he stopped and waited for us.  Eventually, we all entered the car. Prior to our down-hill trek through the mud in the dark the passengers had been fairly quiet, but suddenly there was a lot of laughter and chatter.  Then my inexpensive Haitian cellphone rang; my parents called me as they typically do on Sunday night.  Hearing the laughter in the background my curious mother cheerfully asked, “Are you at a party?”  Looking through the windshield at the rocky muddy road illuminated by the car’s headlights, I laughed out loud.  I told my mother that I was not at a party.   Perhaps, I should have said that I was, after all we were celebrating that we were nearing our destination and that nobody had fallen in the mud, and the car had not gotten stuck.  Certainly, that is as good a reason to celebrate as any!
    

School Work  

This week I am assisting in the preschool in Pilat.  I am helping the teachers to encourage the children to play.  With a grant that my congregation gave in celebration of 175 years since the founding of the Marianites of Holy Cross, we were able to purchase some age appropriate toys and books (written in their native language) for the children.  The children are enjoying playing, and being read to.  I am enjoying the children.   I was also asked to prepare a ten minute prayer in Creole for the preschool and primary school children for each morning this week.  This takes place in the school yard before classes start.  It has encouraged me to reflect upon the Advent themes and try to fully enter into this special liturgical season.  It also means that all of the children in the primary grades of the school know me by name.  Now when I go for a short walk in the afternoon, little girls greet me by name every few miniutes.      

Other Updates

The Haitian election results were announced late Monday night. 

We are still receiving frequent rain. 

The poinsettia plants are blooming; the only visible reminder for me that Christmas in coming.  (I had every intention of including a picture of one of the plants but would need at least half an hour to upload a single photo; the next paragraph will explain why.)    


The internet connection here in Pilat has been poor and unstable. I am hoping to get on line long enough to post this.  I will catch up on responding to emails and things when I return to Okap, which will hopefully happen on Saturday assuming the road will be passable.  
   
Thank you everyone who donated to the Marianites of Holy Cross through the Giving Tuesday program.  Thank you Marianites for passing that money on to Mary Gate of Heaven Orphanage.  Mèsi anpil!   


May you experience many graces during this season of Advent.  

No comments:

Post a Comment