Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Holy Week, Easter and Other Updates

Happy Easter!  




This year the sisters here all attended the Holy Week and Easter liturgies at new our local parish.  The neighborhood parish began last summer, so this was the first Tridium and Easter celebration for the parish community.  

I have always loved the image of Jesus washing the feet of his friends and followers during the last supper.  It challenges me to strive always to serve with greater humility.  Wearing sandals most days and walking or biking between the convent and the orphanage, I have a greater appreciation for the practical necessity of washing feet.  Since most of the roads I travel are not paved (as roads were not in Jesus time,) my feet become filthy with mud after there's been rain or dust when it is dry.  Many mornings I wash my feet upon arrival at the orphanage.  Like Peter, I likely would object if Jesus or anyone else offered to do this for me; "No, I'll do it myself, thank you."  There are times when I need to learn the humility that also comes with allowing others to serve me.    

My Good Friday thoughts have to do with the reality that the crucifixion is still happening to so many people in our world today in so many forms.  I was thinking too, that in each of us live all of the characters in the story of Jesus' death; we have probably each at one time or another played each part, even if only in a small way.  We have all probably been victims of injustice hanging on the cross, as well as those going along with the crowd who call out, "crucify him."  We have all been the betrayers as well as the betrayed.  Each of us has in one way or another nailed somone to a cross and helped people  to carry theirs, and we have felt the weight of our own.  We are the apostles who fled in fear and we are the women who stayed.   

The Easter vigil mass at our parish was scheduled to start at 10:00 pm but began a bit later.  It was completely dark when the liturgy began.  The fire was lit, then the paschal candle from which we lit the candles we had brought with us.  It was a beautiful ceremony, especially in the beginning.  In reality, it was a bit long for me as the homily which was essentially a recap of the many readings was a full 40 minutes.  At one point, I turned around to notice that many people had their heads down on the desks (we don't have pews) in front of them sleeping.  The music was lively at times and there was a wonderful sense of Eater Joy even if many were exhausted.  It was nearly 2 am when the mass ended. 

On Easter afternoon, we had a party for the children at the orphanage that included a special dinner, popcorn, and cake.  Later that evening many of the children and sisters went to a concert at the sisters' high school in the city.  Very talented students beautifully sang many French and two Spanish hymns.  (Personally, I wished they would have sung in Creole too.) The children from the orphanage enjoyed the outing.  They had never been to a concert before and a few after happily agreeing to go, but before we left, came to me and asked, "Ki sa konsè vle di?"  (What does concert mean?.)         


Other Updates: 
The three second-year postulants who were living at other convents since the fall, returned yesterday afternoon.  There are now 15 women residing here at Leocaide Convent.  We have had to rearrange the dining room tables so that we can all eat together.   

Today the children returned to school after nearly two weeks of Easter vacation.  

We are entering mango season once again.  Alleluia!  



May you experience the resurrection in your life during this joyful season of Easter.  Many blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment