Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Literacy and Gratitude

Today's update is dedicated to all those who are unable to read it.

It happened again!  Suddenly I was made aware of how fortunate I am, of how I had come to take great gifts for granted, and of how some people through no fault of their own have been unjustly denied opportunities that should be available to everyone.  A few hard working adults that  I encountered recently were unable to sign their names, though they are not at all lacking in intelligence, ability, or motivation.  They simply were never given the possibility to learn even basic functional literacy skills.  They were never even given an opportunity to attend even a poor, overcrowded school.  As I write this, I thank God that I am able to write and pray for those who can not.   Let us find ways to share our gifts and to advocate for change until everyone is given the opportunity of a decent education.

Sunday was Mother's Day here in Haiti.  We had a wonderful celebration for the "mothers" who care for the children at the orphanage.  Everyone ate together.  A few children performed songs and dances or read poems to show their gratitude.  It was good that we took the time to show our appreciation for these wonderful women since their jobs are difficult.  At the celebration, much to my surprise, I was given a gift for my three years of service at the orphanage and the children thanked me.  It was very touching.  

Thank you, for taking the time to read this, and thank God that you can!          


No comments:

Post a Comment