Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Celebrating, Teaching, Working


All of the Sisters of Holy Cross in Haiti stayed at our house over the weekend. Normally they have their regional gatherings at another convent in the city, however, because of repairs being made to that house the sisters gathered here instead.    They had meetings on Saturday and Sunday and new leaders for the region were chosen.  On Saturday evening following liturgy, there was a joyous celebration thanking the out-going leadership team.  On Sunday evening eight new postulants were officially welcomed into the congregation during a prayer service, which was followed by another joyful celebration.  On both evenings sisters sang, danced and laughed  Throughout the weekend, we ate well and washed a lot of dishes, too.  How fortunate am I to have been invited to attend the celebrations but not the meetings!  (In a couple of weeks I'll be going to my own congregation's gathering.) 

Last week I began my English class with the new Holy Cross male novices and a couple of others.  That class is especially enjoyable because I have more time (two hours) and fewer students than I have in my classes at the sisters' high school. They are motivated to learn English and most already know some basic English from the previous instruction they received while in school.  As always, I enjoy connecting with the larger Family of Holy Cross. 

My work at the schools is going pretty well, even though I can not possibly do all that needs to be done.  I actually think if each school had a couple of full-time special education teachers and a full-time school social worker or two there would still be plenty of work for each of them. Even then we would still be lacking input from other professionals (occupational and speech therapist and school psychiatrists who can do formal testing for learning disabilities.)  Instead, I do what I can in each of the three primary schools according to what the school administrators and teachers see as the priorities.  The services that I am trying to provide would be seen as essential from an American perspective but here are considered a bit of a luxury since schools generally do not have social workers or special educators. 

Have a good week.  Many blessings! 

No comments:

Post a Comment