Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Things moving in the bushes in Haiti and in New Orleans

One morning last week, while walking home from church, I could see that something was moving up ahead in some bushes.  Curiously, I wondered what it could be.  When I got closer I could see that it was a very large pig.  During the day here it is common to see pigs, goats, dogs, chickens, and occasional sheep in the streets and in any yards that are not surrounded by cement walls.

Two days later I was going for a stroll in the New Orleans neighborhood where I live when I am not in Haiti.  I could see something moving up ahead near some bushes again.   This time I was sure it was not a goat or a pig.  From a distance, I was curious and puzzled by the repetitive movent seeming to come from the shrubs in front of a house.  When I was directly in front of the house I could see that it was large blow-up, animated Halloween decoration; the movement was witches feet that were kicking as they were sticking up from a cauldron implying that her unseen head was inside the large black pot.

Sometimes, especially during the first day or so that I am in the states, the contrast between cultures, places, and realities are quite striking.  Each of the things moving in the bushes in one neighborhood where I live is almost unimaginable (at least in the same form) in the other neighborhood where I live.  I even tried to imagine a large pig wandering around the yards in the West Bank of  New Orleans, or a Halloween decoration of that sort in an unfenced lakou here.  Absurd!           

Later that same day, I was reminded of the similarities and historical connections between the two places.  While running errands in New Orleans I heard part of a program on the car radio.  That evening I listened to it in its entirety online.  As someone who lives in Haiti and in New Orleans, I found the program fascinating.  Even if you don't have any personal direct connection with either Haiti or New Orleans, you may still find it interesting.  It is even better online because there are pictures. Even though, the first two photos were taken on different sides of the water (St. Jude Shrine at one of my all-time favorite churches and a street corner in downtown Cap-Haitian) both are for me, very familiar places.  Here is the link in case you are interested.  Enjoy!  http://wwno.org/post/haiti-new-orleans-feeling-mutual       

Last Thursday evening, I flew to New Orleans so that I could attend a Marianite assembly on Saturday.  I was very grateful that I was able to participate in an important discussion with the sisters in New Orleans.  I returned to Cap-Haitian yesterday evening in time for my Tuesday morning English class.  It was a good, quick trip.

I hope that you are doing well.  Many blessings!    Happy Halloween (if you are celebrating)!  Blessed All Saints Day and All Souls Day!   

No comments:

Post a Comment