Sunday, December 17, 2017

A little information about a few of my many varied activities this week

This week was filled with a variety of events, activities, challenges, and gifts.

Most of the schools had exams this week.  At the High School and one primary school, I was asked to help with surveillance during exams.  Students have formal exams at the end of every trimester here.  At the high school, there are many protocols in place that seem to be designed to prevent the students from cheating.  It was interesting because it was a new experience although in some ways watching students take exams was a bit boring in actuality. 


One morning, after surveying exams at the high school, I went to visit the Sisters of Wisdom.  In early November I had attended a conference for religious in Cap-Haitian.  At the conference, a few congregations shared about their ministry.  There was a Haitian Sister of Wisdom who spoke about what her congregation is doing in the field of healthcare.  Although she was speaking French I thought I heard her say that the ministry where she works was started by the Marianites.  She did not know that there was a Marianite present when she said that.  During the meal that day I sat with her and she talked about her ministry and was happy to know that I am a Marianite and that my congregation had started the mission that her congregation continues.  She invited me to visit.  This week, I got a tour of the clinic, dispensary, and laboratory.   I saw the school and chatted with some of the school children during their break; I did not get a full tour because the children had exams that day.  The school is now a national school which means it receives funding from the government.  They are serving many children who are living in poverty who would not be able to otherwise attend school.  There were several employees who worked there when some of the Marianites were there. They seemed happy to meet me and asked about some of the Marianites in France who they very fondly remember. It was good to see that something that was started by my congregation continues and is being run well by Haitian Sisters long after the Marianites who actually started it have left Haiti.  I was also glad to see that both the school and clinic serve people who are truly in great need. The visit provided me a with a bit of hope in the form of concrete evidence that when a congregation is no longer somewhere (or perhaps is no longer in existence at all) it does not always mean that the mission or specific ministries necassarilly end. 
Orphanage Chapel this morning



The children at the orphanage did not have school this week.  I spent a little more time there than I have in recent weeks.  I allowed the younger children to come to the playroom in small groups to play and did a creative activity with some of the older children. Today, was the orphanage Christmas party.  We had a liturgy in the chapel this morning to celebrate the third Sunday of Advent.  The party that followed was a joyful celebration with delicious food and gifts for the children. Tomorrow the children leave to visit their families for the Christmas and New Year holidays.




I will leave for visits and vacation the following day.

May you experience many blessings and joy during this third week of Advent. 









No comments:

Post a Comment