Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Vizit Papa M (My Dad's Visit)

On Saturday afternoon, my dad arrived in Haiti.  It was the first time that a family member has come to visit.  I was happy that he came.  It was a pleasure to show him around the orphanage, two of the schools where I work, the grounds of San Souci Palace, the Citadelle, and a bit of downtown Cap-Haitian.  He enjoyed meeting the sisters and survived two two-hour long masses in languages that he does not understand (although I must confess we left as the announcements were beginning towards the end of Ash Wednesday mass this morning.)  I was grateful that I was able to spend time with him.  His presence caused me to remember what things looked like here when I saw them for the first time.  He commented on the beauty of Haiti several times, seemed to enjoy people he met, and got a glimpse of some of the challenges people face here as well.  He left this afternoon, arrived safely in the US and is in the car heading home as I write this.  Hopefully, his visit was as good of an experience for him as it was for me. Thanks, Dad! 

Here are a few new pictures of (or taken near)San Souci and the Citadelle, so you too can get a glimpse of the beauty of Haiti.   







Today is both Valentine's Day and Ash Wednesday.  Some people have commented on the strangeness of celebrating these two holidays on the very same day.  On the surface, they may seem quite different, but really both are all about love.  Certainly, there are many forms of love worth celebrating.  I wish each of you a Happy St. Valentine's Day and a blessed beginning of Lent.  May love lead each of us into and through this Holy season.   


     

No comments:

Post a Comment