Tuesday, February 6, 2018

A busy but beautiful Sunday

On Sunday morning the newest children at the orphanage were baptized during a liturgy held in the orphanage chapel.  It was a joyous celebration.  I was happy to be able to attend. 



I did not stay for the party that followed but returned to the convent where I live for Sunday dinner.  The dining room was filled because a group of young women who are discerning the possibility of entering the Sisters of Holy Cross had spent the weekend here; they departed soon after the meal.  I was happy to have met them. 

After dinner and washing dishes, with the help of technology, I was able to participate in a  regional community meeting with some of the sisters in New Orleans.  It was good to connect and hear their voices.  Fortunately, they were flexible (thank you!) so that the most essential elements of the meeting could be discussed early allowing me to participate in another important event that day. 

I walked very quickly but did not run to the church knowing I was technically late but aware that it was unlikely that everyone would be fully ready to leave on time.  After a brief prayer in the churchyard, along with a group of children, one of the sisters I live with and a few other women from the parish I boarded a chartered tap-tap.  The parish priest and a couple from the parish followed soon after in a separate vehicle.  As we road through the streets of Cap-Haitian, the children sang, practicing the songs they intended to sing during the visit.  One of the songs they sang it their theme song for their group which is called Timoun Misyonè  (Missionary Children.)   

We arrived at the Azil, where there are homes for adults and children with disabilities, for children who have been orphaned or abandoned as well as a home for individuals living with HIV.  Many of the people seemed so happy to have visitors.  Our groups spent most of our time visiting the children who have significant disabilities.  At times our children sang, but most of the time we just interacted with the people we were visiting.  The image of one particular girl who is unable to walk or talk whose bright smile radiated with joy stays with me. The children of our parish seemed to have a good experience and interacted very well with the people they met. It was a new experience for them.   The Missionaries of the Poor who administer the Azil seem to be very compassionate and kind to the people they serve.  They are truly caring for people who are among the poorest and most vulnerable in our world.  The priests and brothers all speak English; I enjoyed chatting with them.  Although he is learning Creole, I was actually asked to translate for one of the priests when he was communicating with the children from our parish.  He thanked them and invited them to come visit again.   I hope that I will have the opportunity to visit again, too. 


One afternoon last week, after working at the school in the city, I went for a walk and took a few pictures by the sea in downtown Cap-Haitian. 





When I came across this shell I was intrigued by the spiral shape.  The shell seemed beautiful to me, although it was wedged in between a couple of rocks and it was obviously broken. I reflected on the image and on my thoughts about it.   If we can not recognize the beauty that often exists within brokenness then very little will be beautiful to us.  If beauty is synonymous with wholeness and perfection than our sense of beauty is limited at best and superficial at worst.   

May you recognize the beauty that surrounds you this week.  Take care. 
Many blessings!         

                     

No comments:

Post a Comment