Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Signs of Hope!

Last Thursday for International Women's Day there was a program for the students at the all-girls high school where I teach English classes.  The girls all gathered in the auditorium for an educational program. I talked with some of the girls afterward; they seemed to have found it to be empowering and informative.  The sign outside the auditorium says, in Creole, "Violence Against Women, We must talk."   As difficult as the images in the middle of the sign are to look at, it is a sign of hope.  It gives me hope that at least at this school young women are being educated about this reality and encouraged to talk about it.  Of course, I sincerely hope that someone is also educating the young men about such issues as well.





This afternoon, when I went for a quick walk, I saw the older of the two boys I had met two weeks ago, (the ones living on the street.)  He smiled as I walked along the sidewalk towards him.  He told me that he is in the program I had referred him to.  The younger boy was not with him, but he reported that the younger child is in the program too, and had stayed there this afternoon.  He told me that they give them food and they can sleep there.  I was relieved to see him, to chat with him and to learn that they are safe.   His smile was for me another sign of hope.


Thank you for taking the time to read this weekly update.  Many blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment