Thursday, November 22, 2018

Embassy Emails, Table Quiz, Thanksgiving, Garden Grown

Embassy Emails
Today I received seven emails from the US embassy in Haiti; I received the same number yesterday and at least a few each day this week.  On Sunday I only received two, which is interesting since that was the day the protesting began.  The emails have not said anything specific about Grand Goave, not even the emails with lists of multiple places experiencing protests of one kind or another (burning tires, barricaded roads, gunshots)  One of the schools the children here attend has been closed all week probably because of its close proximity to the main road; the other school has been open all week as has our own BLB Academy.  Fortunately for us, things have been relatively quiet in Grand Goave although the little town has not been completely immune.   A little girl came directly to my office after school yesterday to tell me that she saw a burning tire in the street that morning.  While we have not had the violence or extreme situations of some larger cities and towns,  there have been some difficulties.  An important staff person who spent her weekend off in the capital, only returned to Grand Goave today, and that was not easy.  Twice this week I planned to visit an orphanage in a nearby town; both times we postponed the visit out of an abundance of caution because of the possibility of protests between here and there.  Hopefully, the situation will be resolved soon, as peacefully as possible and in a way that is truly just for all the people of Haiti. 
     Here is a link to a news article about the situation, in case you are interested.


Table Quiz
Today my cousins in Ireland, held a fundraiser for Be Like Brit, the organization I am working for.  They held a quiz night at a pub and raised 2,100 Euros for our educational programs.  Based on the pictures that they sent to me, it seems they had a good time in the process.  Thanks to everyone who was involved!  I appreciate you.

Thanksgiving
I hope that all of my family, community members and friends in the US, who celebrated Thanksgiving today had a great Thanksgiving.  While I did not celebrate today in any traditional way, I certainly have a lot to be thankful for everyday!   

Garden Grown 
Fresh fruits and vegetables are one of the many wonderful things that I am grateful for in Haiti.  Here are a few that grow in the garden right in our yard. 

Congo Beans

Papaya

Pomegranate

Cabbage

Okra
 
Thank you for taking the time to read my update.  Many blessings! 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment