Sunday, February 13, 2011

Greetings from the USA

The work week went fine.  It seems to me I had a story I wanted to tell, but now I can't think of it.  I have shifted gears. 

On Friday afternoon, instead of going to the baby house after school, I went back to my house to pack and then to the airport.  Twelve hours after walking in the hot midday Haitian sun, I was at the airport breathing in Philadelphia's winter night air.  It has been great to see community members and friends this weekend, and  to meet this year's Redeemer Ministry Corps members.  Great to have my American cell phone on, making it easy to contact family and friends.   Today my community had a prechapter province gathering.  I could see and hear everything very clearly!  Skype is amazing, and I am grateful for it, but it is not the same as being physically present; so now I have attended one pre-chapter meeting in person. 

My plans for the week include dentist, doctor, spiritual direction appointments, visits with family, and hopefully catching up with a few friends. I am grateful for the break. Sometimes I find myself responding to English speakers in Creole, but usually only when I say "wi" or "mesi" (yes or thank you.)  I am struck by the abundance of things here in this country that I have always called home.  There are many things that have always been here, like hot water in the shower, that I probably never really thought to appreciate before.  I am also grateful for the warm welcome back, even if my visit is short. 

No comments:

Post a Comment