Monday, September 29, 2014

On Wednesday, I arrived safely in Port-au-Prince.  Before making the trip to Cap Haitian, I had the privilege of visiting NPH, the program where I worked when I was in Haiti previously.  When I arrived at the new Kay Ste. Ann and the door was open for me, two boys, whose names and faces I knew well came walking towards me quickly and smiling.  I nearly cried with joy, because both of these children have disabilities and one of them could only take a couple of steps at a time independently when I left; the other was not walking at all (the first was the child who I accompanied when had was baptized, the other was the young boy who had been abandoned in the Cholera hospital see previous entries from May 8, 2011 and May 29th 2011.)  It was truly a joy to see the children.  How much they have grown in nearly three years!  It was important for me to see them in their new houses. I reconnected with friends there and met some new volunteers that evening.  The following morning, I attended mass at the little chapel by the Sr. Damien hospital.  The mass, as usual was a funeral, that day for two children.  I am grateful that I had the opportunity to visit there before, beginning my new ministry in Haiti. 

I spent one night in Port-au-Prince at the house that the Sisters of Holy Cross have there.  Early the following morning a Canadian Holy Cross sister who has been in Haiti for over 50 years, a driver and I left for Cap Haitian.  Most of the way, there was a pretty decent rode; sometimes we could see the ocean was on one side of us and mountains on the other.  The sister had some very interesting stories to tell from her many years in Haiti.    


When I arrived at the orphanage here in Cap Haitian the children and sisters were eating lunch.  I was shown to my room, which is quite lovely.  The house is quite nice; it is simple, but we always have electricity and running water.  There are currently three Haitian sisters, one French-Canadian sister, and Canadian lay woman who is volunteering here until the end of October, and now me in the convent which is on the grounds of the orphanage.  I am enjoying the sisters and getting to know them.  Language has been somewhat challenging at times as I am the only one in the house who speaks English fluently.  I have very much enjoyed meeting the children and look forward to working with them.  On Sunday evening we had a party for two of the children’s birthdays.  The children sang and danced and had special treats to eat.  It was quite enjoyable. 

I am glad to be here.  I have not been able to access the internet often or easily.  I wrote this in word so I  paste into the blog when on-line.  By tomorrow I should have a telephone.  I hope that you are well.  Take care!    

No comments:

Post a Comment