Thursday, January 22, 2015

Visit, liv Priye, fèt Pè Mourea

M te visite NPH.  
On Sunday I took an air conditioned tour bus to Port-a-Prince.  The ride was quite pleasant.

On the bus someone asked me in English, if I speak Spanish.  I replied in Creole that I speak English. This suddenly struck me as comical when I thought about it later in the day.

I spent that afternoon visiting with people at NPH.  A friend, who I had lived and worked with had come to Haiti for the anniversary of the earth quake and of the anniversary of the beginning of the Father Wasson Angel of Lights program. It was wonderful to see her and other friends from various places in the world, who work with NPH.

I had a chance to visit with the children at both Kay Ste. Ann and Kay Ste. Louie.  I was so happy to see the children, many seemed happy to see me. Some of the older children asked for "ti toti," the turtle puppet that I used when I did some psycho-educational groups at the FWAL.  While at Kay Ste. Ann, one of the children who has a disability emerged from the bathroom, lifting his hands up over his head smiling broadly, proclaiming, "Sè Kathleen, m lave men mwen!" (Sister Kathleen, I washed my hands!)  I often say that I spent more time there encouraging hand washing than I did doing clinical social work, because that seemed to be the more immediate need, especially when Cholera arrived.  A smile came across my face, "bravo," I said.  When I was there in September, I did not take the time to walk around the grounds of the hospital; I did on Sunday.  Where the tents for the temporary volunteers once stood there is now a small forest of banana trees!  Volunteers are now housed at a nearby but separate location in newly constructed permanent buildings.  There are some amazing changes on the grounds of St. Damien, including pools of tilapia, coops of chickens and a restaurant.  

That evening we had mass in the little chapel by the hospital.  Most of the people who attend this liturgy are volunteers, long and short term from various places.  The beautiful, simple liturgy was prayed in a mixture of English and Haitian Creole.  Afterwards several of us went to the house of a friend who lives on the grounds of the hospital and we talked, interesting, stimulating conversation (in English.)  

Early the next morning I took the bus back to Okap feeling grateful for friends, for the health and growth of the children at FWAL, for the connections made, and for experience of the visit and for the experiences that I had when working and living there.  Mesi!

Liv Priye
Tuesday morning, there were only two of us present for morning prayer.  The other sister was kind enough to pull out the Haitian Creole liturgy of the hour prayer books that had recently appeared in our little chapel at the convent.   We were able to pray the entire morning pray in a language we both understood.  In the cover of the book I was using, was written a name that I recognized as the name of a French Marianite sister who I know previously worked in Haiti. There are four such prayer books, two of them have the name of a nearby Holy Cross convent written in them and the other two, have the first names of Marianite sisters who once worked in Haiti.  I was happy to discover this!  This helped me to feel connected my own congregation and also gave me an increased sense of belonging.  In general, the sisters I live with seem to prefer to pray in French although for all but one of them Creole is their first language.  The fact that Marianites who came from France would have had prayer books in the language of the people of Haiti while they were here,  I find affirming since I too, am a Marianite, and believe in the importance of using the primary language of the common person in the country/culture where one is missioned.

Fèt Pè Moreau
Tuesday was the Feast Day of Father Moreau, the founder of all of the Holy Cross congregations.  There was a special prayer service and a wonderful celebration held at the Holy Cross high school in the city.  All of the Holy Cross religious and lay associates in the area were invited to attended.  Those of us who work at the orphanage, were charged with preparing the prayer.   Following the prayer, we had a great feast, and wonderful celebration.  There was lots of delicious food,conversation,  music, laughter, and dance.  Each house prepared some little performance or activity to entertain everyone else.  It was truly a gift to celebrate this special day with the larger family of Holy Cross.  

For the 10 days between the death of our founder, Fr. Moreau and the death of the first congregational leader of the Marianites of Holy Cross we celebrate a decade of days with special prayers.  For all of you who support me is some many different ways, be assured of my prayers for you at this time.  Mèsi anpil!

No comments:

Post a Comment