Monday, January 5, 2015

Mwen te tounen

Originally, before I even arrived in Cap Haitian last September, I had thought I would want to come back to Haiti by January first, since that is an important holiday in Haiti, Independence Day.  Since the children were not going to be back at the orphanage and the Haitian sisters spend the holiday with their families, and since I had not really had any time away from work during the first three months, I decided to stay in the US and spend the time with my family.  On New Year's Eve I traveled with my mother, arriving by plane in Florida only moments before 2015 officially began.  I spent a few relaxing days with my parents and uncle; weather wise it was a good transition too (much warmer than Rhode Island, but not quite as warm as Haiti.)    Yesterday morning my parents dropped me off at the huge Miami airport and I arrived in Cap Haitian in time for Sunday dinner.  Some of the older children came with the chauffeur and young lay-volunteer from Canada, to pick me up at the airport.  When I saw the smiling faces of the children I truly felt happy to be here and the frustrating feeling related to the fact that one of my bags had not arrived melted away.  The bag containing most of the toys, music, and art materials for play therapy arrived on the flight that came into Cap Haitian today.
  
Some of the children returned on Saturday.  Most returned on Sunday; fewer than half had arrived before I did on Sunday afternoon.  A few came today.  When one child enters the yard after vacation, it is wonderful to hear the excitement of other children as they welcome their friend.  Fortunately, most of the children seem happy to have visited their family and they also seem happy to have returned; perhaps I am projecting since this is how I feel too!  
  
The government scheduled indicated that schools were to open today.  When most of the children were already in their uniforms, we were told that they did not have school.  At dinner tonight, a sister told me that the children were scheduled to have school, but since no children came to school, there was not any school.  This apparently has to do with the fact that traditionally schools have started here after the Epiphany (January 6th), so families may have assumed that there was no school and since nobody came, classes did not take place.  Some of the high school students did have school today.  Apparently tomorrow the primary school here will be open; we were told that even if there is only one student in a class there will be school. 

I feel like I have so many people I need to thank for their support, generosity, or simply for listening to my Haiti stories during the past few weeks.  Thank you all!  Mesi anpil! 
Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment