Thursday, January 29, 2015

Creole class

This is my last full week of Creole class.  I had understood that it was just for the month of January, but this was not so. On Tuesday of this week, I learned that the class was supposed to continue for two more weeks; I am not sure how I missed this information, although no one in the class was sure of the date it was scheduled to end until I asked the other day.  Since I had told the children that I would resume the scheduled groups the first week of February, I have decided that beginning next week, I will only go on Tuesday which is the day I don't have any groups scheduled.  The times when I am able to work one on one with the assistant teacher are very helpful.  When I am in the classroom with the others, it is not quite as helpful, although certainly I do learn. I find the lists of vocabulary words that they give us interesting, although, I don't think they are concentrating on the most commonly used words, not even for the others in the class who are learning Creole for the first time.  If were a veterinarian or a farmer, I might need to know the words for a baby female pig, and a baby male cat, however I am a clinical social worker, and to do my work well, I really do need to make sure I have the vocabulary to do a decent suicide assessment in case the situation would arise and to discuss difficult traumatic experiences that children may have had, including sexual abuse.  I have had to be assertive in asking to learn what I need to learn and when working individually the assistant teacher has kindly obliged, especially in terms of vocabulary.  The class has helped me, I believe that my Creole is getting better. Sometimes I still struggle with listening comprehension and have to ask people to repeat or explain.  Of course I need to remember that sometimes even when people speak same language fluently, misunderstandings occur.  I have been grateful for the class and also am looking forward resuming more consistent groups with the children.
     
All is well here.  It has been raining on and off the past couple of days, but not too heavily (no flooding here.)  I hope that all is well with you, especially those of you in the north eastern part of the US who are inundated with snow; stay warm.  Take care.  

No comments:

Post a Comment