Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Madi Gra

On Sunday, Monday and Tuesday the plan was to allow a small group of children to go into the city to see what was going on for Carnival.  The children who went really seemed to enjoy it.  I think the children, especially the younger ones whose school is located on the property are happy to go anywhere, since they don't leave site very often.  They came back talking about the "Madi Gra," referring specifically to people in the street wearing "ugly" masks.  My name was on the list to be an adult going with them on Tuesday, but in an attempt to practice better self-care, I decided to take what is supposed to be my weekly day off, which meant forfeiting my chance to go with the children into the city.  As it turns out all major Mardi Gras activities that had been planned in the country for Tuesday were cancelled.  There was a terrible tragic accident in Port-au-Prince during the very early morning hours on Tuesday when a float came into contact with power-lines, electrocuting  at least 15-20 people (the number varies deepening upon which article you read or radio station you listen to.)  The next time I am at a parade in New Orleans, and watch the big electric company truck that precedes each and every parade checking that power-lines and tree branches are not in the path of the large floats, I will have a deeper appreciation and understand that such a practice really does prevent accidents and premature death.  We are praying for all those who died, those who lost loved ones, and those who witnessed this traumatic event.

I am grateful that I had a chance to pray and read and take two long walks yesterday.  I do love the work that I am doing here, and also know that taking a break, a day off and not spending it in the place where one works, is important especially when working with people.

Be assured of my prayers as we enter into this season of lent.  During these days may we all be transformed into the people God has created us to be, people of love, compassion, mercy, justice, peace and hope so that we can work towards the transformation of the world into God's vision.

                

No comments:

Post a Comment