Friday, February 6, 2015

Mental Health Treatment in Haiti

I recently read an article the following article http://woymagazine.com/2015/01/22/whispers-i-am-haitian-and-i-suffer-from-depression-2/  which tells the story of a Haitian suffering from depression.  At the end of the article it states that the editors of the magazine were unable to find resources to help people suffering from depression and/or suicidal thoughts in Haiti.  Someone left a comment about a counseling program near the capital, which looks interesting but is far from here and in terms of treatment of individuals seems to offer essentially the same level of care that I am able to provide.  
 
If I were working with a client here, who needed more than I am capable and qualified to offer as an experienced clinical social worker, what could I do?  If I felt that a child were possible danger to him/herself or to others, where could I refer the child?  It does not seem that there are many options.  What if I thought someone may need even a brief in-patient stay for the sake of his/her safety?  What are the prospects for people who don't get the help that they need?  I don't want to think about the answer to that question.  When working in the United States, especially while in Louisiana, I frequently felt that the needs of those I worked with who were experiencing poverty, homelessness, and serious mental health conditions were in many cases not adequately met by the existing mental health system there; young people were often falling through the cracks.  Here the analogy of falling through the cracks doesn't even fit because to fall through the cracks would imply that there is at least some kind of structure that catches some people, but that does not appear to be the case here at this time.  Even when I search the internet for information on mental health treatment for Haitians, the google search consists of more information for Haitians who have immigrated to the United States than it does for those living here in Haiti currently.  

This week, I began participating in an on-line international play therapy supervision group that meets monthly.  The others in the group presented very interesting cases.  It was very helpful for me to be able to connect with other professionals who are also working with children.  It is actually amazing to me that four people in four different countries can have a meeting!  Here is the link to the organization providing the supervision.  http://www.fptcenter.com/

Take care!

 
      

No comments:

Post a Comment