Saturday, June 20, 2015

Good-byes, 2 little trips, and Visa


Orevwa  

On Monday we said farewell to most of the youngest children, as they departed for their summer vacation, with family members of relatives. Goodbyes are often difficult especially for children who have experienced so much loss.  Some seemed happy to go and visit their relatives; others seemed as though they might prefer to stay.  There are still several older children on campus who will be gradually leaving during the coming days.
That same day, we also said good-bye to the young woman from Canada who had been volunteering with us since December. 
A Haitian Holy Cross postulant who has been living and working here since before my arrival left on Friday to begin her journey first to Canada and then to Peru  where she will participate in the Sisters of Holy Cross international novitiate.  She has been a wonderful presence here, a very thoughtful and responsible young woman.  I will certainly miss her as will the children, sisters and employees.  On Thursday we (the sisters, a lay volunteer and our driver) went to a restaurant in the city for her farewell.  It was an enjoyable community outing.   
Our lakou (yard), and convent have such a different feel to them with so many people having left.  I miss them already.


De ti vwayaj

The Citadel in the distance

On Tuesday, a volunteer from Canada and I went to the Citadel.  When we visited in December, http://kmnhaiti.blogspot.com/2014/12/updates-citadel-and-merry-christmas.html with a large group of high school students, we were directed to wait at the top of the mountain for everyone to arrive before entering the actual Citadel, and then as we were entering we were told we had 15 minutes before we would need to begin our descent down the mountain.  The volunteer who accompanied me had spent time at a Holy Cross Convent very near the foot of the mountain, before coming to work here at the orphanage a couple of months ago.  As we were starting our journey a couple of local people she had met while living there, including the teenage daughter of one of the women who works at that convent, decided to join us.  As we passed people she knew along the route they asked her if she was our (tour) guide, and each time she smiled. I was glad that they came along. I enjoyed the long walk as well as learning more about the history of the Citadel and history of Haiti.  It was truly a great day. 
from a window in the Citadel 


Inside a tower of the Citadel 

In the Citadel 


















On Wednesday we had a day at the beach for all who work at the orphanage.  In two crowded (by American standards) mini-buses, we made the trip over a mountain to the beautiful coast.  Soon after arriving we enjoyed a spaghetti feast for our breakfast.  People swam and splashed in the water, played cards and dominoes at the tables in the shade of a gazebo.  We snacked on fresh coconuts, first drinking the refreshing juice through a straw then banging them open to enjoy the fruit.  We had a wonderful lunch of rice and beans, chicken and vegetables.  The food had been prepared the day before; we brought it with us.  It was wonderful for me to see the employees really enjoying themselves, to watch them play and joke and laugh, and of course to play and joke and laugh with them too.  They work so hard at caring for children, tending gardens, washing clothes (by hand,) assisting with homework, cooking large meals and many other extremely important and often mundane tasks; I am grateful that they were able to spend a day at the beach; it was a gift to be with them. 

Premis de Sejour and Exit Visa


Last week, I called the Sister of Holy Cross in Port-au-Prince who helps all of the Holy Cross sisters and volunteers with their Premis de Sejours, to check the status of mine, since I had not yet received it and had applied quite a while ago: http://kmnhaiti.blogspot.com/2014_11_01_archive.html  This is required of foreigners who stay in Haiti for more than 90 days at a time.   Apparently she had been holding mine for a while; she holds everyone’s and I was assured that only a photo copy of the permit is actually needed at the airport.  She agreed to send me a photo copy of mine, which I found in an envelope under my door when returning from one of my adventures this week.  There was a yellow sticky note on it from the sister, written in French; (it seems that some sisters have a tendency to either forget that I don’t speak French.)  I could make out a few words, and thought she was likely telling me to keep the copy with my passport and reminding me that I would still need the green departure card everyone is given upon entering Haiti.  I decided though that I should double check with  someone who can read French well.  Now I know that in addition to the Premis de Sejour, which permits someone to stay in the country for more than 90 days, I will also need an “exit visa” to leave.  A year ago I was looking up the requirements and getting together the documents needed to apply for the Premis de Sejour, but I have no recollection of seeing anything about an additional document called an exit visa.  I think it is new and the purpose of it is unclear to me especially when one has gone through the process of obtaining a Premis de Sejour.  With assistance from the same sister I am going to get the exit visa, which may require a trip to Portauprince since at least my passport needs to find its way there and back before I leave for vacation.  I am happy to see from the photocopy of my Premis de Sejour, that most things on it are written in both Haitian Creole and French; what a great idea!  

1 comment: