Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Conversations on the Street

 When I walk or ride a bike between the convent where I live and the orphanage or when I go for a run as I try to do a couple of mornings a week, I am often greeted by friendly neighbors.  Often I am called "blan" (pronounced like "blah", which means white person or foreigner.  Occasionally people call me, "blanko, "grinko" (Spanish), or "ti blan," which means "little white person or foreigner."  People who call me these are not being rude;  on the contrary most of the time people who greet me this way are being friendly and kind. This is simply the ordinary means people use in this culture to greet or get the attention of a foreigner.  The kindness, curiosity, and friendliness of so many people is something that I really enjoy about the Haitian people.      

Since I ride the convent bicycle more often than I walk to the orphanage, now when I do walk, I am typically asked by people accustomed to seeing me on the bike, "Blan, where is the bicycle?"

While running, I have conversations almost every time that go something like this:
 "Blan you are exercising?"
Me: "Yes, I am running."
a few minutes later someone else may say,
"Blan, you are running?"
and I'll respond, "Yes, I am exercising."  

There is a little girl who is about 7 years old who lives in the neighborhood, who when she sees me running comes along side of me, takes my hand and runs with me for a about two minutes smiling broadly the whole time.  When she gets too tired she lets go of my hand.  Grateful for her joyful yet brief company, smiling, I wish her a good day.  

Often young children call out to me, "blan, blan."  There was one time, about a year ago, while running I really thought I heard the voice of a very young child, calling to me in a prolonged fashion. When I turned my head ready to say, "bon jou," I saw not a child, but a bleating sheep!  "Blahhhh, Blahhhhh!"

Photos
My new hobby on my day off is to take pictures in the lakou.  Last week, I thought there may not be anything new or different to photograph.  I have been amazed that each time I wander around the yard with my camera in hand that I find new photographs to take, grateful that I can encounter the wonder of God's beautiful creation right here.  











Have a great week!  Many blessings!


    
       

No comments:

Post a Comment