Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Paschal Mystery

This flowering tree, which is in the convent yard where I am currently living has fascinated me since it began blooming a few weeks ago.

Initially I was attracted to it because of the unique vibrant flower.  As I observed the tree the life cycle of the flower began to intrigue me. Each flower transforms from little stub, to lengthy bud, opening to a full bloom and then falls to the ground.  

















I assume that somehow it is in dying that the flower allows the tree to reseed itself.  The dead flower on the ground is then broken down into the soil providing nourishment for the tree itself and other plants around it.  

It is not too difficult for me to see how the death of the flower can lead to new life.  In nature it is often easy to recognize the paschal mystery.  What is sometimes harder to trust is how the tragic accidental seemingly senseless death of a young child can lead to new life.  One of the children who I remember well from the first time I was missioned in Haiti died last week.  He was one of the youngest children at Kay St. Ann when I left there in October of 2011. When I visited the program a few times last year, I saw him.  He and had been transformed from the toddler I knew to a bright eyed boy.  Last summer  he had been moved to the larger orphanage in the mountains, where he died.  Please pray with me for the children in that program, the workers, and all who loved that little boy and mourn his loss.  Let us trust that while it may be difficult to understand that God will somehow use this terrible loss to bring about new life, trusting that death leads to resurrection.

When I look around at the children I currently work with, I am reminded not to take them or anyone for granted.  Remembering that life is fragile and that each day that anyone is in our lives is a gift, can help me to be a bit more patient and compassionate during the more challenging moments.    
   
I appreciate the many people I have in my life.  Thank you for taking the time to read this.

May you experience many graces during the Lenten season.
   

 




No comments:

Post a Comment