Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Pwovèb and Updates


Proverb

(please excuse the redundancy if you already saw my similar entry on facebook, after posting it there, I decided to share it here as well.)
There are many proverbs in Haitian Creole.  Last week I took these pictures, which reminded me of a particular Haitian proverb.
     
Piti piti zwazo fè nich li.  -Pwovèb Ayisyen
Little by little a bird makes its nest. -Haitian Proverb 








So often activities take longer than I expect.  Sometimes I want change, within myself, in systems, and even in others to happen quickly and typically it does not.  Even uploading these above photos took quite a while given the speed of the internet.  The proverb reminds me to be patient, with myself, others and the in the midst of everyday challenges that life presents.

Updates  

The children returned to school yesterday after being off for over a week.  Usually they would celebrate Carnival at school on the Friday before Mardi Grad, but they did not this year; I was told this was because of the political situation int the country (although I did not fully understand that explanation since there had not been any demonstrations in the neighborhood where the school and orphanage are located.)  Schools were closed on Monday and Tuesday for Mardi Gras and then for Ash Wednesday as well.  Rain (which was very much needed, but created a lot of mud and big puddles in the roads, and flooding in some places) led to schools being closed on Thursday and Friday of last week.    

There is now an interim president of Haiti, who is supposed to organize elections and step down from the post in a few months.

Apparently there is Zika in Haiti.  Now, whenever I see a woman who appears to be pregnant I think to myself, I hope she does not get bitten by a Zika carrying mosquito and pray for her baby.  It is hard enough for people to care for children with significant disabilities in the best of circumstances, I believe that such challenges are even greater in places where there are so few resources, no social security disability, a lack of special education and early intervention services that children with disabilities are entitled to in the United States.  Let us pray that few will get Zika and that it will not cause the problems here that it is believed to have caused in other places.

According the American news I read on the internet many of you in the US have been experiencing some very cold weather.  Take care of yourselves and stay warm.  If it gets too cold for you, consider coming to visit me.  I might put you to work, but you would be most welcome.  Byenvini!

 

  

      

 




No comments:

Post a Comment