Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Crossing the River

The remainder of the week in Pilat went well.  On Wednesday morning, there was a special mass which many school children attended for Fèt Drapo (Flag Day.)  I spent much of that afternoon working with a dedicated group of ninth graders who came to school on their day off to prepare for exams; I was assisting with English (the only subject I am qualified to help with especially considering their exams are in French.)  On Thursday and Friday after school, we continued the work.

It was enjoyable to spend time with the preschool children and their teachers.  I did some short psycho-educational lessons, talked with the teachers, read to the children and organized some play time.  Most had never used playdough before and they seemed to enjoy it.

The river 


Late on Friday afternoon, I accompanied a Haitian sister to visit a family.  We had to cross a river to get to the family's home; we were on foot and there was no bridge.  Hand in hand we waded through the rocky shallow river .  When we arrived at the other side of the river, we put our shoes back on and walked up a mountain until we arrived at the simple home of a large family.  They were happy to see the sister and welcomed me, even though I was a stranger.  An American sister who is not currently in Haiti had assisted them with obtaining funds to build their house, so it seemed their gratitude may have extended to me although I had nothing to do with it, or maybe they warmly welcome all people. They invited us in and asked me specifically to pray, to bless the house.  Though surprised that they wanted me to pray, I was deeply touched by their faith and how openly they expressed it.  So I prayed with them and for them and they seemed satisfied with my spontaneous Creole prayer.  They showed us their garden; that is how they sustain themselves.  They wanted to give me the plantains that were growing on a tree behind their home, but the sister convinced them that they were not ready to be picked.  They gave her some fresh corn; we waited while the father of the family went to harvest it for us. The sister did not take all that they offered us, perhaps aware that they needed it more than we did but not wanting to insult them by refusing the gift.  Grateful for having met such kind, generous and faithful people, we headed back down the mountain and across the river.

The plantains 


On Saturday morning, I returned to Okap, and went to the orphanage that afternoon, happy to see the children there.

Have a good week.  Take care.  Many blessings!        

No comments:

Post a Comment