Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Partying in Pilat

The first time I came to Pilat, I described the road leading to the town as being like a dry rocky river bed.  When I made the journey on Sunday afternoon, the road was not dry. The driver and I were grateful that the rain was light so that we were able to pass without difficulty.  If the rivers we need to cross to get here are too swollen vehicles can not pass; a few weeks ago some sisters who had planned to come to Pilat for the funeral of a sister’s mother, had to turn back.

During my previous visit in March, I had told the professors and the sister who is the director of the school that I would try to come back before school ended to follow up with the preschool children and their teachers (links to previous Pilate entires  March 19, 2016  and Pictures Pilat previous visit.)  When this week was chosen, I had not realized that there would be so many other things going on; had I known I might have chosen a different week, so that I would could have had more time with the children, but feel that I am supposed to be here at this moment, although I am not sure and may never know the exact reason.    

It was wonderful to see the children yesterday.  Their smiles alone make the trip worthwhile.  They remembered me and of course, even more so they remembered Ti tòti, the turtle puppet I use for pyscho-educational lessons with preschool age children.  



I am grateful that I was here to celebrate the birthday of the sister who directs the school.  Yesterday morning the entire school surprised her with a party that included song, dance, and popcorn.  The teachers had a party for her during the children’s recess time too.  The cake was delicious!   The Holy Cross sisters who work at the hospital in Pilat and the Holy Cross priests who work in the parish came here to the school convent yesterday evening; we had mass followed by another enjoyable birthday party.
     
Today is teacher appreciation day here in Haiti.  The children did not come to school because we had a party for the teachers that lasted all day.  The teachers here work very hard and I was happy to see them enjoying themselves. It was nice to begin to get acquainted with them; during my previous visit I really only had contact with the preschool professors.  Some of the older students came to help us with the party; they prepared a prayer this morning and served the noon time meal. Following the prayer, a couple of teachers shared about their experiences working at the school.  I set up and helped to serve the snacks this morning, coordinated musical chairs, and helped with various aspects of the party. I was actually quite busy and am grateful that I was able to be of assistance and hopefully help the teachers know that they are appreciated.     
           
Tomorrow is Fèt Drapo, Flag Day, here in Haiti.  Yes, another fèt!  In life, there is always something to celebrate.  The school is closed, but several older students will come in the afternoon and I will help them prepare for an English exam.  I’ll have Thursday and Friday to work with the preschool children and their teachers, Si Dye vle (If God wants!)  
  

Even if you have not attended as many parties as I have recently, I do hope that you are finding reasons to celebrate.  Many blessings!  

No comments:

Post a Comment